Skip to main content

How to stop procrastination when writing a blog post


I have a confession to make. I usually say to myself, I will write a blog post today. 1 day, 10 days, 1 month, 2 months then passes by with nothing on the paper. I might even have a topic to tackle on that day. Yet when I face the blank sheet of paper,  I stall. I will read articles on writing, watch TED and TedX videos(These are my favourite videos). I will do anything else other than write that article. Do you get this aversion to writing or am I alone?
Throughout my writing journey, I've been plagued by this habit. And so might you. 

writing an article now and not tomorrow

Occasionally, I've been able to  escape   from this snare. Here are three tips I use.

1. Breakdown the writing process into smaller steps.


To be truly honest with yourself, writing a perfect blog post will take more than just one sitting. Breaking down the article writing into smaller steps ensures that your brain stays focused on task.
These steps may include: choosing a topic, writing three probable headings, writing an outline(major  and minor points to be covered, writing first draft, research to fill the blanks writing second draft,  editing, choosing images publishing. All these will contribute in writing a good blog post.
PS: You don't have to follow all these steps in the particular order I have listed them.

2. Jot down your thought as they come to you.


Keep a place where you can write these ideas. Use an actual notepad or the notes app on your phone. I mostly use the notes app on my phone or the sticky notes app on the laptop.
You can just sit down on your writing spot and expect ideas to come to you.  But when the inspiration deserts you, you have a fallback plan. Your all-day-long-notes will see you through. To make your work easier,  its advisable to transfer unused notes into one central point accessible to you during writing time. 

3. Finally, sit down and write.



This tip is counter intuitive. What I'm advocating is start writing. Now. Don't check you notes now, move that pen or pencil. Don't be tempted to do research now. Just write your thoughts first.
If you are using the computer, open the notepad full screen and avoid opening any other app while you type away. If you can't find enough content to write on that topic,
write questions that you would want to find answers to.
You can even jump to other topics, but keep on writing. Write till you have exhausted all the ideas in your head.


Why this Writing stategy works

You get to write all your ideas unfiltered. Even if you don't end up publishing that post as it is,  you will have shared your voice there. 
Now you can proceed to the other steps like research and fill in the missing information etc
If you are wondering,  will this work. This article is a living proof of that writing process.
If you have an tip that you use to avoid postponing wring articles, please share with us in the comments below. 

© Article copyright by Avic Ndugu avicnotes.blogspot.com.
All rights reserved. The above information is intended for personal use only. No commercial use of this information is authorized without written permission.

Comments